Tighter at the top after Sunday’s games

November 18, 2018 8:31 pm

It was an eventful Sunday with back-to-back wins for the Devils, another home victory for MK, Panthers winning to keep up the chase for top spot, and Guildford overturning Manchester.

Nottingham Panthers 3-2 SO Fife Flyers

The Panthers and Flyers are now tied on 27 points in third and second respectively after tonight’s 3-2 win for the Panthers in a shootout at the MotorPoint Arena.

With no goals in the opening period, it took only 1:56 of the second to break the deadlock – Danick Gauthier on target for the Flyers to put the visitors one ahead. That lead was held for almost 12 minutes before the Panthers equalised thanks to Alex Guptill.

Joe Basaraba put the Flyers back ahead at 49:02 with his side’s second powerplay goal of the night, but again the Flyers couldn’t hold on to their lead. Almost 20 minutes after tying the game up before, the Panthers again levelled the scores as Alexandre Bolduc lit the lamp to make it two each. No further scoring meant each side took a point as the game went to overtime, and then eventually a shootout to find a winner. The Panthers took the extra point as Mike Garnett saved all four Flyers’ shots he faced, while Luke Pither and new-signing Marek Tvrdon were on target to give the Panthers the win.


Dundee Stars 3-6 Cardiff Devils

Cardiff Devils completed a four-point weekend with a three-goal road win in Dundee. For the second game this weekend the Stars were in the match before eventually losing out.

Celebrating his 900th professional game this weekend, Charles Linglet put the Devils one up early on with only 62 seconds played. However Charles Corcoran had the Stars level just shy of the nine minute mark, followed by Drydn Dow then putting the home side ahead with 15:27 gone. The Stars however couldn’t hold that lead into the period break, Stephen Dixon tying the game with 1:06 left on the period.

Joey Martin’s shorthanded effort at 26:04 put the Devils ahead again, but again the Stars fought back to level things up, this time Lukas Lundvald with the goal just over two minutes later. However the Stars were unable to stay on even terms and conceded two goals that killed of the game either side of the second intermission – Layne Ulmer on the powerplay put the Devils ahead again at 36:18, and then Stephen Dixon netting out in front with 32 seconds of the final period played gave the visitors a two-goal lead. An empty netter from Jake Morissettee after an unselfish pass from Mike Hedden sealed the win for the Welsh side.


MK Lightning 4-1 Coventry Blaze

It’s now two home wins on the bounce for the MK Lightning since parting ways with Doug McKay as the Lightning recorded a three-goal win over the Blaze to move off the foot of the table.

The home side got a great start with two goals inside four minutes both on the powerplay – first Andreas Valdix and then Robbie Baillargeon to make 2-0 at only 3:49. Luke Ferrara halved the margin as he pulled one back for the Blaze just under three minutes later, but the Lightning would still lead by two in the break thanks to Martin Mazanec’s powerplay goal at 14:22.

And that was the scoring until deep into the third period, despite the Blaze having some powerplay opportunities across the next two periods to get back into the game.Robbie Baillargeon finished off the game with his second third with 56:37 played to make it 4-1.

Guildford Flames 8-3 Manchester Storm

A dominant middle period from Guildford Flames helped them turn their home game against the Storm around to make up for last night’s defeat in Manchester.

Although Kruise Reddick gave the Flames the lead with just over three minutes played, it was the Storm who led after 20 minutes – Evan Richardson tied the game at 7:17, before Dane Byers put the visitors ahead just under ten minutes later.

Ian Watters made it two each only a minute and 11 seconds into the middle session, with Kevin King then putting the Flames ahead at 23:55. John Dunbar extended that lead at 36:44 to 4-2, but with 1:11 played in the final period Ciaran Long had Manchester back to within one. However goals from Ben Davies, Jamie Crooks, and another from Dunbar extended the Flames lead to 7-3. TJ Foster made it eight with 3:10 to go to complete a great home win for the Flames.


Categorised in: