Shutouts and late winners dominate Saturday

November 24, 2018 10:31 pm

There were late goals, shutouts, and overtime winners on Saturday night in the Elite League!

Coventry Blaze 1-2 Belfast Giants

 A winner with 59 seconds left was enough to keep the Belfast Giants’ winning streak going as they stay three points clear at the top of the league.

The Blaze took the lead in this game with 23:59 played, Alex Nikiforuk on the powerplay to put the hosts ahead. They held that lead for a little over six minutes until Dustin Johner levelled things up for the Giants.

That was how things stayed until late in the third period – with the game seemingly heading to overtime, Kyle Baun struck shorthanded to steal the points for the Giants on their return to league action after European adventures last weekend.

Dundee Stars 3-0 Fife Flyers

Dundee Stars snapped their winless run as they shutout a Flyers side in the chasing pack of the top of the table.

The Starts got the points thanks to a goal of each type over two periods. In the first, Johan Andersson put the hosts ahead shorthanded with 8:17 played. With 2:02 gone in the middle session Brian Hart doubled the lead, and with only 30:16 on the board Jordan Cownie’s powerplay marker had the home side three ahead with a little under half the game still remaining.

But the Stars were not going to be denied a win to break their losing run and beat their local rivals – and held on for a win to move themselves off the foot of the table.

Glasgow Clan 0-3 Guildford Flames

Guildford Flames kept up their excellent recent record with a shutout win in Glasgow against the Clan and move to within only three points of the top four.

The Flames took control of the game in the middle period with two goals in under seven minutes. Evan Ritt gave the visitors the lead with 22:14 gone, with Calle Ackered continuing his run of goals with the Flames second at 29:38 – TJ Foster assisting on both.

Ian Watters made the points safe with an empty netter with 1:43 to go, as Travis Fullerton stopped 29 shots for his shutout.

Manchester Storm 4-5 OT Cardiff Devils

After a poor run of form, it’s now four wins in a row for a resurgent Cardiff Devils side after an overtime win in Manchester.

A nine goal thriller at the Storm Shelter got going after only 32 seconds as Gleason Fournier gave Cardiff the lead. It was level after 3:06 thanks to Luke Moffatt for the hosts, but Cardiff were ahead again just over three minutes later through Fournier again. The period’s scoring wasn’t done yet however, as Mike Hammond tied things up for the Storm again.

With 25:16 played Stephen Dixon put the Devils in the lead for a third time, but again the Storm were to answer – with 2:09 played in the third period. The home side then led for the first time as Ciaran Long put them ahead with 46:39 on the board, but Reddick was on hand again to tie the game with 6:25 to go.

No more scoring saw the game head to overtime, where it took just 1:54 for new Devils’ signing Drew Schiestel to hit the overtime winner!

MK Lightning 1-3 Nottingham Panthers

The last time the Panthers visited Milton Keynes, they left with a 5-1 defeat. Tonight however it was the Panthers leaving with the two points as they overcame the hosts by two goals.

The Lightning had won two straight at home since their coaching change, and seemed to be going in the right direction again when Radek Meidl put them ahead after only 3:57. Alex Guptill put the Panthers level at 9:12, and six seconds before the period was over the visitors had turned the game around – Robert Farmer on the powerplay giving Nottingham a 2-1 lead after 20 minutes.

No goals in the middle period or for most of the third, despite both sides with powerplay chances, before Marek Tvrdon closed off the game with an empty net goal at 58:19 to give the Panthers the points.


Categorised in: