Steelers and Giants keep streaks alive

November 25, 2018 9:26 pm

The Steelers and Giants kept their winning runs going on Sunday, while Milton Keynes shocked Cardiff and Dundee beat their local rivals for the second straight day.

Sheffield Steelers 4-1 Manchester Storm

The Steelers made it four straight wins with a Sunday afternoon win over Manchester.

A powerplay marker from Josh Pitt had the hosts ahead with 15:12, and it was a lead they held through into the middle session until doubling it just after the halfway mark. Jonas Westerling put the Steelers two up with 31:31 on the clock, giving the Storm a mountain to climb in the third period.

The visitors however were back in the game with 11 minutes left thanks to Evan Richardson, but it wasn’t for long as the Steelers made the game safe through Stefan Della Rovere. A late Mark Matheson powerplay goal rounded off the four goal win for the Steelers.

Cardiff Devils 2-3 OT MK Lightning

Milton Keynes’ new coaches added to their recent impressive results with an overtime win at the home of the defending league champions.

The Devils took a first period lead through Charles Linglet with 14:41 gone and seemed to be on their way – however they were unable to add to that lead for the next 25 minutes as the third period began with the game at 1-0. The Lightning were then able to equalise just 1:36 into that period through Robbie Baillargeon on the powerplay, but weren’t level for long – the Devils back ahead at 45:39 through Joey Haddad with the Devils’ own powerplay marker.

But there was still to be drama. With the clock ticking down, Georgs Golovkovs tied the game with just a minute to play, and 3:44 into overtime Golovkovs struck again to had the Lightning a victory that some five minutes previously had seemed unlikely.

Guildford Flames 1-4 Belfast Giants

One of these teams’ wining streak had to come to an end, and after 60 minutes it was the Flames’ as the Giants left with a 4-1 win.

The Giants got off to the better start thanks to Darcy Murphy’s opener at 6:19, however the Flames were level before the period was finished – Evan Ritt tying the game with just under 12 minutes gone.

With just under five minutes left in the middle period Paul Swindlehurst put the Giants back into the lead, and it was a position from which they’d not be moved. The final scoreline got a little more gloss added to it thanks to two empty net goals – Blair Riley at 59:01 and then David Rutherford with 43 seconds to go completing the scoring.

Fife Flyers 3-4 (PS) Dundee Stars

Dundee Stars beat local rivals Fife Flyers for the second consecutive night, this time taking a shootout win on the road thanks to two late goals.

Mike Cazzola put the Flyers ahead inside three minutes, followed by Rihards Birzins doubling the lead just before the six-minute mark. Then when Marcus Barasa made it 3-0 at 16:49 the Flyers looked to be well on their way to avenging last night’s defeat in Dundee.

The Stars got themselves back in the game at 34:33 thanks to Drydn Dow, but the comeback would wait until deep into the third period.

Jordan Cownie struck at 57:04 to bring the visitors back to within one, before Matt Bissonnette tied the game with 1:43 to play. No goals in overtime meant the game went to a shootout, which needed 12 rounds before Francois Bouchard scored the winner to give the Stars the extra point.


Categorised in: