Four home wins as Wednesday brings goals

December 5, 2018 10:17 pm

24 goals were scored in three games on Wednesday night as the Stars shocked the Giants, the Devils played overtime again, and the Clan beat an in-form Steelers side.

Cardiff Devils 4-3 OT Guildford Flames 

A third overtime game in a row in Cardiff, and this time a win for the hosts as they overcame Guildford by the odd goal in seven.

In a tight, well-contested game the Flames took the lead early through Evan Ritt early on, and held the lead for well over 20 minutes until Layne Ulmer levelled on the powerplay at 26:27. The Flames were back ahead though just over four minutes later thanks to Kruise Reddick, and at 32:16 the visitors had extended that lead to 3-1 as Evan Janssen netted. A crazy five or so minutes was rounded off by Charles Linglet as the veteran forward pulled the Devils back to within one to set up an exciting third period.

Just under six minutes into the third Joey Martin tied the game for the Devils, and despite a few more chances in the rest of the period there was to be no winner in regulation. Guildford survived a minor penalty on Eric Lindhagen in overtime, but the Devils would have the last laugh in the game as Gleason Fournier’s wrist-shot from the point flew through a screen and into the top of the net to give the home side the extra point.

Dundee Stars 6-4 Belfast Giants

The live FreeSports game had 10 goals as Dundee extended their winning run to five games and gave Belfast their second defeat in as many games.

Mark Garside gave the Giants the lead with 6:54 played, but less than a minute later Shawn Boutin had the Stars level. Francois Bouchard got his first goal of the game to put the hosts head on a 2-on-1 with 22:29 played, but the Giants levelled up through a great high breakaway finish from Dustin Johner shorthanded just under six minutes later. Johner then struck again, this time on the powerplay, to put the Giants back in the lead with 32:30 gone but the lead wouldn’t last until the end of the period as Bouchard tied things again.

The third period belonged to the Stars however, Brian Hart putting them ahead with 45:07 on the clock, and then a deflection off Matt Marquardt from close range making it 5-3 55 seconds later. When Bouchard completed his hat-trick on a 2-on-1 with 9:47 to go the Stars were three clear and the Giants had a mountain to climb. Blair Riley cut the deficit to two with 4:09 to go but there was too much left for the Giants to do, as Dundee took the 6-4 win.

Glasgow Clan 5-2 Sheffield Steelers

Coming off the back of a win over league leaders Belfast, the Steelers were full of confidence going into Glasgow. However the Clan moved to within a point of them with their third win in five.

Clan opened the scoring at 2:19 through Rasmus Bjerrum, and led by the single goal after the first 20 minutes. That lead was doubled just over the halfway mark as Scott Pitt netted at 31:35, giving the Clan a cushion after two periods. They extended their advantage to three through Michal Gutwald at 43:49, and by the time Brendan Connolly made it four with just over 11 minutes to go the points were all-but safe.

Sheffield did manage a small fightback Justin Buzzeo and Tanner Eberle scoring 16 seconds apart to pull the game back to 4-2 with 50:19 on the clock, but a late Matt Beca powerplay marker with under three minutes to go completed the 5-2 win.


Categorised in: